However, as long as the device fits snuggly, there’s no right or wrong finger to wear the Oura ring on. According to Oura, the ring has a battery life of 4–7 days, with a full charge taking anywhere from 20–80 minutes.
A great way to achieve your health goals is to track your health metrics. Oura is a smart ring that uses sensors to collect your health data and generate daily values for activity, sleep quality, and readiness. You can wear the ring as hand jewelry, choose from three different colors or decorate it with a diamond. But can you wash your hands with it?
You can wash your hands when you wear the Oura ring because it is water resistant. It can withstand a water depth of about 30 meters at temperatures ranging from 14°F to 129°F. However, you should not wear it while diving or leave it underwater for more than 12 hours.
You can also easily use hand sanitizer with the Oura ring. Since the inner shape of the ring is non-allergenic and non-metallic, you can wear it 24/7. Read on to learn how to properly clean and care for your Oura ring and more.
How to Clean Your Oura Ring
It is essential to clean the dust and dirt on your Oura ring that interferes with signals between the sensors and arteries on your finger. It would be best if you cleaned the infrared sensors in the interior of your ring once a week.
How to Maintain Your Oura Ring
You now know how to clean your Oura ring, but how can you maintain it so it stays working for as long as possible?
The following precautions can help you maintain your Oura ring:
- Avoid wearing the ring when friction may damage the ring. Friction occurs when doing strength training exercises, working with heavy tools, and carrying heavy objects made from stone, ceramics, or metal.
- Avoid wearing the ring next to, below, or on top of other rings which may rub on it, causing scratching.
- Consider wearing your Oura ring on your non-dominant hand to reduce contact with various surfaces that may be scratched by the ring, such as soft coatings on phone covers made of gold, silver, aluminum, or ceramic.
- Do not puncture the ring or damage the battery.
- Do not expose the Oura ring to extreme temperatures for a long time. The operating temperature ranges are from 14°F to 129°F, making it safe to wear it in hot tubs, saunas, and ice baths. Exposing the ring to temperatures outside of its ranges can damage the battery.
Now, let’s take a look at how to charge your Oura ring.
How to Charge Your Oura Ring
The Oura ring has a rechargeable 15mAh – 22mAh battery that is non-replaceable.
Follow these steps to charge your Oura ring:
- Connect the USB cord to the charger and plug it into a power source to begin charging.
- Place the ring on the charging block.
- The LED light will begin pulsing.
- If the LED does not light up, check that the cable is connected properly and the ring is positioned correctly with good contact with the charging dock.
- When the battery is full, the pulsing light stops. Additionally, you get a push notification once charging is complete.
Depending on the charge level, it can take 20-80 minutes to charge your Oura ring fully. You can check the battery level by tapping the ring on the right-hand corner of the Home tab.
A fully charged battery lasts between 4 and 7 days, depending on the age of your ring and how often you use daytime features, live features, and naps taken during the day. The ring uses more battery when actively collecting data from the LED and temperature sensors.
Charging Tips for Oura Ring
Now that you know how to charge your Oura ring, you may be wondering some things about its charging levels and when you should charge it.
Here are some charging tips for Oura Ring:
- Keep your ring’s charge level above 40% to avoid damaging your battery.
- Enable the low battery notifications on the Oura app to remind you to charge your ring.
- Ensure that your battery level is at least 25% before bed. High charge levels ensure that you do not miss your sleep insights, including sleep or readiness score, breakdown of your sleep stages, respiratory rate, or heart rate variability.
Now you know everything about cleaning your hands while wearing your Oura Ring and maintaining it to keep it lasting as long as possible.
How do I Clean my Oura Ring?
We recommend cleaning the infrared LED sensors (the three small bumps) located on the interior of your Oura Ring ~once a week. This can be done by wiping them down with the inside of your t-shirt or a piece of cloth—or, by rinsing your ring with a small amount of mild dish soap and water.
What is Oura Ring and how does it work?
Oura Ring is a health technology brand that created a ring that tracks key signals from your body. The Oura Ring delivers critical insights to help you build good habits and harness your body’s potential every day. The Oura Ring was developed for those who want to empower, understand, and define their health on their own terms.
Why is my Oura Ring getting scratched by other rings?
Other rings may scratch your Oura Ring while rubbing against it. Consider removing your Oura Ring in situations that involve friction (e.g. weightlifting), or when handling objects made of metal, ceramics, or stone (handling pots or pans).